Nathaniel IV Constructs Clock Shop

From the 1760s to 1798, Nathaniel IV made clocks and repaired watches and other metal objects in a small, repurposed room at the front of the family home. In 1798 he constructed a purpose-built workshop at the southeast corner of the house, accessed through exterior front and back doors as well as a narrow interior door opening directly into the parlor. A more convenient and efficient workspace, the new clock shop also protected the family from the heat, noise, and fumes of the forge.