This small bottle survived in the Dominy Tool Collection with a history of having been used by Nathaniel Dominy IV and Felix Dominy to store acid. Its shape and the color of its glass indicate, however, that it was probably used late in the nineteenth century by Nathaniel Dominy VII. Watchmakers and watch repairers had to use a number of acids. Dilute nitric acid and sulphuric acid for etching clock faces or dissolving metals were most frequently used. The design of the brickwork of the fireplace wall in the Dominy clock shop suggests that cubbyholes were placed where heat rising in the chimney would keep warm whatever was stored in them, thus preventing freezing during cold weather. The vial is made of clear glass and was produced in a mold. Vertical mold marks appear on its cylindrical body, and its flange shape and lack of abrasion inside the flange indicate that a cork stopper was placed in it, a practice common after 1850.
Vial, probably American, Nathaniel Dominy VII (purchaser/user), 1850-1900. Glass (nonlead); Brass. 4.646" (L). Museum purchase, 1963.0156.033