Winterthur Acquires Dominy Collection

Before the property changed hands, Dominy family members removed tools, equipment, fittings, and furnishings from the house and shops. Large equipment, including the benches and lathes, were stored in the barn of a Southampton antiques dealer. In 1957 the collection came to the attention of Winterthur Director Charles F. Montgomery, who pursued its acquisition with the enthusiastic support of the museum’s founder, Henry Francis du Pont, and with funds provided by Henry Belin du Pont.